Sunday, August 3, 2008

Two Days Off!!

Day one of my two day vacation was fun! I took Christopher, Leslie and her two boys, Matt and Luke, to Mission Bay and we inflated the "Trilogy Tube". This is a three seater innertube that we towed behind the boat. Matt and Luke are 11 and 9 or there abouts and I promised them when I got the boat that I would take them tubing this summer. So, sticking with my promise, I told Leslie to pack 'em up and let's go! They had fun! The best part was when one of the boys actually said, "I thought we came out to fish, not tube." That's when I whipped that boat around and took it out to the Ocean! It was a beautiful day out there, but the fish didn't want anything to do with our sunshine! Christopher is the only one that caught on this day, it was a nice sand bass.
The first picture is of Leslie and the boys enjoying the fast ride on the tube. The second picture is of Leslie and Matt at the end of the day just enjoying the float as they try to land a fish.
On Day Two of my little retreat I was able to take Crenda, Stacey and an old family friend, Debbie Grant (Now Stevens) out to our regular spot at Shelter Island.
Debbie has known me longer than my own cousins have! That's kinda weird when you think of it! She was a girlfriend of my oldest brother, Jeff. She had a horse named Pepper and when I told her that I still remembered Pepper she was quite surprised!
So, this trip was special! Kinda like having a family member on board! She talked about how she and Jeff used to go snorkel down at Mission Bay and they would find starfish that were bigger than you could imagine! She said that one time she was sitting up on the shoreline and Jeff and another friend were snorkeling when Jeff came up with his eyes as big as saucers and said that they had come across the biggest starfish they had ever seen! He said it was so big that they had to swim back to see what it was! Then she said that they were able to pry it from it's spot and they took it to our house and put it on our roof to dry!
She said that it was about 4 or 5 feet in diameter. She said that the bay was a lot cleaner then and that it was a lot more exciting! More fish and sealife than there is now! I guess with all the people who go diving and don't really respect what they see and they just tear it up..... ah hemm! Debbie and Jeff!! I'm sure there would be a lot more starfish if it wasn't for them!!
So...... The fishing wasn't Great on Friday, but we did ok. Nobody got skunked and Debbie was able to see her first Lizard fish. As a matter of fact, it was the last fish caught and it was a biggie! She caught a 23 inch halibut earlier, so she got the big fish prize this time.
Stacey got the most and Crenda caught the first. I got gas money, so I did ok!
The Lizard fish we have seen out there have been anywhere from a couple of inches to maybe a foot or so in length. They are usually fairly skinny and they literally look like a lizard in the head area and even their skin has a scaly look to it, but it's actually smooth. They have sharp little teeth and white bellies and they can get FAT! The one Debbie pulled up was the fattest I've seen so far. It was about two to three inches in diameter and at least twelve inches long. We asked Debbie when we first went out if she had ever heard of a lizard fish and she said no, so I wondered if maybe it was something that she knew by a different name. But when she pulled it up she was quite surprised and said that she had never seen anything like it.
We caught up to L that day so the L fish happened to be a lizard and you don't have to think very hard to figure out what she named it! Lee Zard!
We'll have to do that again. She was a wealth of information! She has been out on many boats and has a ton of stories to tell and it's fun to reminisce with someone who remembers my family.
So.......... Until next time...... Happy Blogging

1 comment:

MiCKeY said...

I want to go tubing!